Saturday, July 14, 2018

30 “Have Some Coffee, Jacques!”



Jack and Jean-Pierre Hendrickx
Jack’s letters express his longing for Alice and yearning to be home with his family. Camaraderie with fellows from his squadron, even his best friends Winkler and Derrick, did not compensate for missing Alice’s touch or her home-cooked meals. By chance, bad weather, and the kindness of a community, he was able to experience family life again, briefly, in a village in Belgium.

This was November now and the rainy season. Our tents were pitched in an area that mud was up to our ankles in Beauvechain. When the town people saw the mud and our need, they made arrangements for those who had an extra bedroom in their home to take the soldiers in where they would be dry. I don’t mention warm because they did not have much fuel to heat the house. Winkler, Derrick, Mike Salvage, Harold Birch [Burks], and I were assigned to the Hendrickx-Leemput home. This was a great place, and more like a home to us. Armand, the husband, was about thirty years old, and Lique [Angélique], his wife, was about twenty-seven or twenty-eight. They had two children, Marie-Louise, about five, and Jean-Pierre, about one and a half years old. Wink and I spent many evenings there, and Lique would fix coffee for us. Some of the fellows would stay, and sometimes they would go out. What a wonderful family, and how lucky we were to be able to stay there.[1]

Armand, Marie-Louise, Lique, and Jean-Pierre Hendrickx-Leemput
Lique's sister Georgette Leemput

Winkler, Kellar, Salvage, Derrick

Armand, Jean-Pierre, Lique, Winkler, Burks, Georgette
Marie-Louise, Salvage

Belgium, Nov. 29, 1944
Dearest Alice,
Gee I’m sure sleepy tonight. It is only 9:00 P.M. Leke [Lique] told us last night not to eat at the mess hall tonight as she was going to have dinner for us. Boy what a dinner! Gee I sure am full & that is why I’m so sleepy. We had rabbit & gravy & French fried potatoes. Gee she had so many potatoes I didn’t know how we were going to eat them all but there were none left when we got done. Then after we had cherries & plums that she had canned. She sure is a good cook & so neat about everything. After we got thru eating she washed the dishes & I dried them Ha I just looked forward all day to that meal Ha Aramond [Armand], the husband took my watch into town today as it needs cleaning. It will be done in a couple of days. Well John Pierre is off to bed so it will be quiet now for a while. Gee I’m so sleepy I can’t even spell right. Ha John Pierre gets into everything around here. Tonight he was trying to put a bedroom slipper in the tea kettle Ha Gee they sure make us feel at home here. I was in Liege today for a little while on business. It was quite a nice town.[2]
 
The Hendrickx-Leemput home with Winkler
at upper window

Winkler was friendly with Lique’s sister Georgette.
Both were single at the time.

Belgium, Dec 6, 1944
Dearest Alice,
Gee the kids [Marie-Louise & Jean-Pierre] are having a great time today as they celebrate St. Nickolas day today. They sure enjoyed the little gifts we gave them & it made me feel good that they did tonight. Last night to celebrate St. Nick’s day we had 2 very small glasses of cognac (pronounced có-ne-yak). Gosh but it is rotten stuff. I hated to take it but finally did after they insisted. Then we had fried ham & fresh eggs, coffee, bread & butter. Several nights ago we sure had a good feed. We had a real good pork roast, boiled potatoes & gravy & peas cooked in butter. Boy Leke sure can cook & they are very nice to us. I like your cooking best of any I have tasted yet darling. I think you are really tops. Well a year ago tomorrow morning we pulled into New Jersey. Boy I sure was blue.[3]

Marie-Louise and Jean-Pierre Hendricks
Marie-Louise, second from left, and girlfriends
Jean-Pierre

Belgium, Dec. 10, 1944
Dearest Alice,
Well a year ago tonight Derrick, Wink & I went to New York. Gosh what a time we had. We walked up to a cop & asked him where “Times Square” was & he said soldier you are on Times Square right now. I guess he knew we were from the country Ha But Boy what I wouldn’t give to be back in that country right now. Last night Leke insisted that I have a cup of hot wine [to help recover from a cold]. So I finally downed one but it almost made my stomach turn over to drink it.[4]

Jean-Pierre, Derrick, Winkler, Marie-Louise, Lique, Salvage,
Armand, Georgette. The women are wearing the boys' hats.

Belgium, Dec. 14, 1944
Dearest Alice,
Well a year ago tonight we were on our way across the water. Gosh I had a lump in my throat & I sure did a lot of thinking. I got my new pair of shoes I told you about last night. They sure are swell & they are called Combat boots. They look something like this [drawing] Ha They are a regular high top shoe with a large piece of leather on the top with two buckles on it. Is it O.K if I don’t send the money that Derrick & Wink gave me for the pictures & instead spend it on my shoes?[5]


Christmas was approaching. Jack knew Alice, his mother, and others had sent presents back in October, and he was anxious to open them. But the Army Air Force had other plans for him.




[1] Jack J. Kellar, “Autobiography,” 1998; two ninety-minute cassette tape recordings; held and partially transcribed by the author. Excerpt.
[2] Jack J. Kellar (Belgium), letter to “Dearest Alice” (Alice [Streeter] Kellar), 29 November 1944, excerpt.
[3] Jack J. Kellar, letter to “Dearest Alice,” 6 December 1944, excerpt.
[4] Jack J. Kellar, letter to “Dearest Alice,” 10 December 1944, excerpt.
[5] Jack J. Kellar, letter to “Dearest Alice,” 14 December 1944, excerpt.

No comments:

Post a Comment