Saturday, August 18, 2018

35 Getting Ahead from Afar



Jack writing home, a rare indoor photo
 As newlyweds, Jack and Alice had bought a little house he called their “cracker box.” When they lived in Dallas, Indianapolis, and Fresno and when Jack was overseas, they rented it out for $45 a month. With that they paid the mortgage, taxes, and insurance premiums. This first joint investment would pay for itself during Jack's absence.

As far away as he was, Jack had home improvement ideas. The very day he arrived in England, he wrote:
I have had a lot of time to think lately and I have been trying to figure out how we can fix the house & yard up at home to look better. I have some ideas and it sure will be fun working together on it and we will sure fix it up nice.[1]

The Office of Price Administration fixed rent on
Jack and Alice's house at $45/month.

In winter 1944 he praised Alice’s thriftiness:
Honey I am sure proud of you being so saving and us being able to pay so much on the house.[2]

As spring arrived in England in 1944, he shared dreams for their future:
Yes honey I too have often thought about what we are going to do after the war. I sure would like to keep in some end of the airplane game and would love to get a good gov’t job in some air depot like Hamilton Field or Sacramento or somewhere like that. So whatever we plan now may be changed later. So I guess there is no use in planning on too much as far as the house goes etc. but it sure is going to be good to get it paid off and start saving up some money. I think we are a lot farther along than lots of young married couples. Honey as long as we can be together after this war is over with, and we are going to be together, I guess it does not matter where we live. We have a good start now and we will be able to build that beautiful large home on any piece of ground as long as we are together.[3]

The stone two-story houses Jack saw in England contrasted
sharply with the single-story redwood frame house in Santa Rosa.

Dearest Alice,
Your check that you get the first of May, for April should be $100.00 but if it isn’t, I guess you will get it later. Gee the house [mortgage] sure is going down fast now. I sure am proud of you paying so much on it. It sure will be swell to get it paid off and then start saving for other things.[4]

Jack in Staplehurst, England 

In the fall of 1944, now in Belgium, Jack drew out his plans:
I have been thinking about when we start fixing the front rooms of the house up how we can fix the kitchen too. If we blocked off the door into the living room from the kitchen & then fixed it like below & then put cuboards [sic] above the drainboard & below. Maybe you have a different idea of how to fix it. Oh well I’ve got to have something to dream about & I admit I sure can’t draw Ha.[5]

Jack's sketch, clockwise from left: Stove,
drainboard, Sink, Refrigerator, dining room

From Germany in spring 1945, Jack sent advice about the renters:
No Korntveds had never written me about the house but I wrote you several nights ago telling you what to do.[6]

Jack in Germany with "Alice"

It must have been hard to be so far away while selling their house.
I sure am anxious to hear if you sold the house yet and if you got cash. I sure hope so.[7]

The war was over, and Alice did sell the house.
The last [letter] from you said you had signed the final paper on the house. I am so glad. I wonder if you got the money. I sure hope you got it before now so that lady doesn’t change her mind. I shouldn’t worry about it tho as I know you will make out O.K.[8]

They sold their little house for almost twice
what they paid for it.

With the house sale finalized, Jack was relieved and proud.
I’m sure glad the deal is all settled about the house and that the money is in the bank. You sure have done well with the bank account honey. I’m plenty proud of you darling.[9]

The woman who supported Jack through her
letters and her newfound business savvy

Jack placed his trust in Alice. Always working to support herself, she invested Jack's earnings in their little house. When the war was over they would be poised for their next investment together. When would the war be over?



[1] Jack J. Kellar (“Somewhere in England”), letter to “Dearest Alice” [Alice (Streeter) Kellar], Santa Rosa, California, 23 December 1943, excerpt.
[2] Jack J. Kellar, letter to “Dearest Alice,” 19 March 1944, excerpt.
[3] Jack J. Kellar (England), letter to “Dearest Alice,” 29 March 1944, excerpt.
[4] Jack J. Kellar (England), letter to “Dearest Alice,” 29 April 1944, excerpt.
[5] Jack J. Kellar (Belgium), letter to “Dearest Alice,” 12 November 1944, excerpt.
[6] Jack J. Kellar (Germany), letter to “Dearest Alice,” 8 May 1945, excerpt.
[7] Jack J. Kellar (Germany), letter to “Dearest Alice,” 5 June 1945, excerpt.
[8] Jack J. Kellar (Germany), letter to “Hello Darling,” 15 August 1945, excerpt.
[9] Jack J. Kellar (Germany), letter to “My darling Alice,” 26 August 1945, excerpt.

No comments:

Post a Comment