Saturday, September 1, 2018

37 Having Fun Killing Time



Kellar and Kellar, an itentional
double exposure
From May to November we had nothing to do.[1] The war was over in Germany, and it took months to finish up and process people, materiel, and the bases where they were stationed. For Jack this meant time to pursue personal interests and have fun where he could find it.

Photography
During Jack’s time abroad he really took to photography, not just taking pictures, but developing and printing them, too. It was a hobby he hoped to pursue once he returned home. Given his leadership qualities, it’s not surprising that he became the vice president of the 160th’s Photo Club and spent a lot of time printing photos for other fellows in his outfit.[2]

I bought some more paper to print pictures on and some trays for the solution I use. Honey will you send me about 10 pkgs of those Nu Ace pictures corners. I can get corners over here but they aren’t very good and they cost an awful lot. I even bought another picture album today. I have some pictures I printed several nights ago that I will have censored tomorrow and then send on to you.[3]

I haven’t any real good place to print pictures just now but maybe later on I will be able to. I sure enjoy doing it and when I get home I expect to have some real good equipment as I think it is a swell hobby.[4]

Batter up!

Baseball
Wherever there were Americans, there were games of baseball, and the 363rd had a number of teams in competition in the spring of 1945. Jack may have been better at photographing the games than playing.
Memorial Day: We had another game of baseball today and again we lost 4 to 1. Oh well I get a big boot out of playing anyway.[5]



Spectators at the ball field

The Bob Hope Show
In July the famed show came to Jack’s base in Germany. Inexplicably, the photos Jack saved were of Jack Benny, Martha Tilton, Ingrid Bergman, and Larry Adler.
Darling we had a swell show here today. We had Bob Hope with Jerry Colon[n]a in person. They really put on a swell show for us. They had several U.S.O girls with them too. Boy Hope sure cracks some dirty jokes but that’s what the G.I wants. They had the show in our hangar which has been damaged by bombs & Hope calls it a garage Ha I wish you could have seen the fellows in the hangar they were all over the place, hanging on the walls, and even up in the ceiling Ha It really was a swell show.[6]
Jack Benny, singer Martha Tilton, actress Ingrid Bergman,
and Larry Adler
Martha Tilton and Ingrid Bergman
Automobiles
With their planes flying fewer missions, the P-51 crews turned their skills to automobiles, enjoying fixing up what they found in Germany.
For a while I just layed around when we didn’t have anything to do but time went too slow so then I got the old jalopy and it keeps me pretty busy keeping it running. We have an electric welder here so once in a while I do a little welding altho I’m sure not very good at it and then to pass time I have a lot of fun going around different places of the field and trying to get old engines to run. It’s really quite exciting Ha It kind of helps the time to go a little faster.[7]

Jack's jalopy (mistakenly identified earlier as his German
jeep) with Winkler and Derrick
Chester Podolak squeezes two more in his little car.
A three-wheeler

A Local Carnival
A warm, sunny October day drew the fellows to a nearby carnival.
Honey I sure had loads of fun today. The sun was shining real nice for the first time for a long time and it was really nice out. We decided this afternoon that we would go in town to the carnival. We went in and even tho it was a small carnival we had a lot of fun. We rode on about everything they had. I had a little accident when I went to get on a swing on chains. Just as I was about to get in the chair they started up. I hung on part way around and then let go & when I did I knocked down a little boy. I was sure scared as he cried and I thought he was hurt but he wasn’t. I guess he was just scared as it all happened so fast. After that things went pretty good. We rode the “Dodge ‘Em Cars” for a long time and then we went over to another ride and I got 6 kids, one of them the one I knocked down & took them on it. Gee they had a big time and it sure made me happy to see them have so much fun. We even went to a Hoochy Koochy show & boy was it crummy. I felt like scratching after we got out of there Ha. We went to the Red Cross in town and had some coke & coffee & donuts & then came back to camp. It was really swell getting out for a change.[8]


The war inspired many acts of heroism. One hero’s claim rests more on providing everyday support than any one act. Just by being himself, he proved a hero to everyone.



[1] Jack J. Kellar, interview about his first years after high school by Judy Kellar Fox, 12 April 1993; cassette tape recording and transcription held by the author. Excerpt.
[2] 380th Fighter–160th Tac. Rcn. Squadron History, February 1943–August 1945 ([unknown place]: [unknown publisher], printed by A. Roßbach, Eschwege, Germany, [1945]), 124.
[3] Jack J. Kellar (Belgium), letter to “Dearest Alice” [Alice (Streeter) Kellar] (Santa Rosa, California), 9 March 1945, excerpt.
[4] Jack J. Kellar (Germany), letter to “Dearest Alice,” 16 March 1945, excerpt.
[5] Jack J. Kellar, letter to “Dearest Alice,” 30 May 1945, excerpt.
[6] Jack J. Kellar, letter to “Dearest Alice,” 26 July 1945, excerpt.
[7] Jack J. Kellar, letter to “My darling Alice,” 26 August 1945, excerpt.
[8] Jack J. Kellar, letter to “Dearest Alice,” 8 October 1945, excerpt.


No comments:

Post a Comment