Saturday, May 26, 2018

23 Staying in Touch with Home


Winkler, friend, Derrick, Jack, and American teen at
Old House at Home pub, Maidstone

Lonely for home, even among hundreds of other American boys, especially lonely for Alice, Jack clung to reminders of his home culture.

Other Americans
Dearest Alice,
I got a swell letter from you today [April 30] dated April 17. No matter how tired or gloomy I may be when I get in from work, if there is a letter there from you it sure cheers me up. While on pass I met an American boy of 16 years. He seemed so friendly and did not talk like an Englishman so I asked him if he was English & he said no he was an American. He is from N.Y. and really a swell kid. He and his folks were captured by the Japs in China but escaped. When they got on the boat, it was supposed to go to U.S. but it came to England and then they got caught in the Blitz of 1940. He is credited with shooting down a nazi plane. While watching a gun crew man a gun over here in 1940 a plane came down & wounded several of the gunners. He saw it and jumped in and took one’s place and pointed the gun and knocked down the plane. When I asked him if he planned on going back to U.S. he said darn rights just as soon as the war is over he is going back. He sure was a swell kid. I treated him to the show. It sure is swell to talk to someone from U.S.[1]

The boy told a good story, as he would have been about twelve when he supposedly shot down the Nazi plane. Still, Jack was ready to hear it, and it was one story he could share with Alice. The censor wouldn’t care.

Memories
While on pass yesterday we rented a boat & went boating for about an hour. We sure had fun and it reminded [me] of the times in Dallas when we use to [go] boating down on the lake.[2]
Derrick boating in Maidstone

Remembering boating with Alice in Dallas




The second feature: "Alaska Highway"[5]
Movies
Upbeat American musicals featuring G.I.s and their girls were just as popular in England as in the U.S. Sometimes Jack saw them on base, sometimes at a local theater. He could write to Alice about them, confident that she had probably seen them, too.

Dearest Alice,
Last night I went into town to the show and saw “Let’s face it” with Bob Hope & Alaskan Hiway. They were both very good. Then I found a pretty good place to eat and had sausage loaf and chips & tea.[3]

See the movie Jack saw:
"Let's Face It"
[4] 

Music
Dearest Alice,
Tonight I got thru work about 8:00 and then I got the fellow who plays the accordion and he has been playing the songs you sent for us and some other old favorites too and they sure make me lonesome & homesick for you.[6]


A few of Jack's letters
Letters

Dearest Alice,
Darling if for any reason my letters to you should not be as often & quite as regular as they have been please don’t think that it is my fault & don’t feel I have forgotten about you. It’s just because we are so darn busy and our work must be done even before we sleep. Last night I did not get thru work until about 1 A.M. so I did not get a chance to write to you. I may have to go back to work yet tonight. I guess you can imagine from the papers just how busy we must be. Darling I would like to get you some other things from over here but now that I have the money saved up I can’t get to town in the day time and most of these towns the things are so picked over by now that all they have left is a bunch of junk.[7]

Among the “junk” Jack, ever sentimental, was able to find some souvenir jewelry for Alice.

This bracelet was crafted from old English three-penny coins.
Jack called them "thrupnybits."
Photo courtesy of Alison Garcia Kellar


Gifts from Home 
Alice’s packages to Jack contained practical items he had asked for. He particularly appreciated candy and sweets. His brother-in-law Floyd, single and working the dairy, sent nice candy from a new Oakland, California, company. That was a big hit!

MacFarlane's chocolates[8]

Dearest Alice,
I just opened the package you sent and I got the writing paper, 3 rolls of film & candy. Thanks so very much honey, you sure are a darling and I love you so very, very much. I also opened the package from Floyd of McFarlanes chocolates & honey for the life of me I could not keep my mouth from watering. Great big drops hit the floor Ha It sure is good. I have your gift that I got you in town all ready to be censured and I think I will send it tomorrow. I sure hope you will like it. I think I will send my electric razor too as I am not using it.[9]





The best part about being abroad was the opportunity to see a little bit of the country. Jack and his buddies went to London on pass a couple times. Sightseeing in wartime was risky, yet, for Jack, particularly memorable.



[1] Jack J. Kellar (England) to “Dearest Alice” (Alice Streeter Kellar), 30 April 1944.
[2] Jack J. Kellar to “Dearest Alice,” 28 April 1944.
[3] Jack J. Kellar to “Dearest Alice,” 20 April 1944.
[4] “Let’s Face It,” advertisement, The Press Democrat (Santa Rosa, California), 2 January 1944, p. 2, cols. 1–2; digital image, Newspapers (https://www.newspapers.com/image/265206717/ : accessed 25 May 2018).
[5] “Alaska Highway” advertisement, The Press Democrat, 5 April 1944, p. 2, col. 3 detail; Newspapers (https://www.newspapers.com/image/265212172/ : accessed 25 May 2018).
[6] Jack J. Kellar to “Dearest Alice,” 28 April 1944.
[7] Jack J. Kellar to “Dearest Alice,” 22 April 1944.
[8] “Awful Fresh MacFarlane, The Scotch Candymaker, Opens New Branch,” Oakland Tribune, 16 May 1939, p. 20-D, cols. 5–8, detail; digital image, Newspapers (https://www.newspapers.com/image/136077933/ : accessed 24 May 2018).
[9] Jack J. Kellar to “Dearest Alice,” 29 April 1944.

No comments:

Post a Comment